Thursday, May 10, 2012

Ma's tit is OUCHY!


After nursing for one year and one week, I got mastitis.  Mastitis is a bacterial infection of the breast tissue and usually occurs in the first few months of nursing.  It can be caused by poor latch, not emptying the breast, or from cracked nipples.  I had none of these.  Was it from trying on non-nursing bras on Saturday?  Nursing Orion in the changing room of Nordstrom then wiping off my boob with my t shirt and trying on more bras?  Was it because i wanted a bra just for myself to look and feel good?

I do not know why or how I got mastitis but I do know that it sucked.  My right breast hurt so badly!  It felt like I was just starting out breast feeding when you wake up for a long sleep (3 whole hours!) and your boobs have been replaced by rocks but way more painful.  Just the movement from walking made them ache and of course Orion loves to punch me in the tit.

On top of having a painful breast, my whole body was sore.  I was also wicked exhausted.  Just taking care of Orion’s basic needs like changing his diaper was really difficult.  I also had zero patience and after struggling to get a cloth diaper on a squirmy baby, I gave up and used disposables for the rest of the day.  After a week spent recovering from Orion’s first birthday, I was looking forward to a normal week.  But at least I didn’t get sick for his birthday.

To top it all off, Orion developed a cold because misery loves company.  All we wanted to do was eat and sleep but Orion wouldn’t let me sleep because he wanted to sleep on me.  He started to get sick around the same time as me but they were unrelated illnesses.  He had a cough, runny nose (clear), and felt warm.  I did not give him anything and he seems to have gotten better every day.  Luckily, he has never been sick and in need of medication.  This is his 3 cold ever and he just needs to work through it.

I started to get sick on Sunday after our morning nurse/nap.  Orion nurses to sleep and will fall asleep on the boob and I just let the nipple fall out when it may.  After he woke up, we went to the farmer’s market and I wore him facing in on my chest and quickly realized that was not a good idea.  We ran some other errands and my husband wore him or carried him.  Even the seatbelt across my chest was causing discomfort.  When we got home around 3, I turned to my trusty friend Google.  I Googled mastitis and diagnosed myself with mastitis but the fear of inflammatory breast cancer was in the back of my over active brain.

Monday I went to the doctor and she checked me out.  The redness on my breast had gone down a bit, but it was still warm to the touch, hard, and sore.  Plus, my flu like symptoms were ever present.  I got antibiotics and took them without much thinking.  The doctor told me to pump and dump for the first 48 hours even though the medication was safe for breast feeding to clear out the breast. I couldn't understand why I should pump and dump.  I find pumping more painful and the only time by boob felt any better was when it was being nursed on.  I even called the lactation consultant at my pediatrician's office who couldn't understand it either.  She asked if the doctor had asked me to express any milk and if my milk was discolored. No and I hope not!  So I kept nursing and after the baby went to bed Monday I pumped for 12 minutes even though I was exhausted and my milk was plain old milk colored!

(The lactation consultant was very funny and asked if I had another doctor and if mine had ever breastfed before.  She was also very proud that I have been nursing for over a year.  I do love my pediatrician's office!)

I am not usually quick to medicate myself but I was afraid that the mastitis may return or cause my M.S. to flare.  I also wanted to feel better as quickly as possible so I could take care of my baby and myself.  When I got home, I used a heating pad on the infected area but I still had a baby to chase after.  Orion was very interested in the heating pad and cord.  My husband would be late coming home from work Monday and Tuesday.  Tuesday, I was feeling better.  My breast wasn’t as painful but I was still tired and sore.  This was the day of never ending hunger for me and baby boy.  Wednesday, I felt almost human but Orion was having a major case of the fussy pants.  He seemed less congested but he did not want to eat or sleep.

Today, Thursday, things seem back to normal but maybe it is too soon to call it.  I am so glad the weekend is here but my husband who was supposed to be off on Friday and Saturday will have to work, much to my disappointment.  And Sunday is Mother’s day, which should already be a day of spoiling mom and not spoiling mom because she has been sick while taking care of a sick baby.  But I will take what I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment